The facelift is a procedure used to reduce the appearance of facial wrinkles and other telltale signs of aging, with the goal of improving the overall appearance of the face and jaw. Facelift surgery can help to reverse the harmful effects of time, stress, and exposure to sun and pollution. To perform this procedure, Dr. Breister Ghosh will lift and tighten the underlying muscles of the face to create more aesthetically pleasing contours in appearance and rejuvenate the facial structure. Then she will remove excess pockets of fat and skin that can contribute to an aged, tired appearance.
As an experienced and skilled plastic surgeon, Dr. Breister Ghosh will perform this procedure with an artistic eye and extraordinary attention to detail so that you will be left with negligible scarring and beautiful, natural-looking results. For qualified patients, facelift surgery can be an excellent investment, providing a fresher, more youthful appearance for years to come. A long-term follow-up study published in 2014 found that after an average follow-up of 12.6 years, 68.5 percent of face lift patients rated their current degree of improvement as very good or beyond expectations, and an equal number felt that 10 or more years had been added to their youthful appearance.
Facelift surgery can be an effective way to improve appearance and boost self-confidence, but it is not for everyone. Some patients might find that they can achieve their cosmetic goals with a non-invasive procedure, such as laser resurfacing. Others may be happier with their results if they combine facelift surgery with other procedures, such as a neck lift or brow lift.
Are You a Good Candidate for Facelift Surgery?
The best facelift candidates have realistic expectations and are willing and able to follow the pre- and post-operative instructions provided by Dr. Breister Ghosh. After a one-on-one consultation, Dr. Breister Ghosh can advise you as to whether you are a good candidate for a facelift, or whether an alternate procedure might be preferable.
The following is a list of factors that can determine whether or not you are a good candidate:
- Skin elasticity: A good facelift candidate will have skin that retains some of its natural suppleness and flexibility. This is important because, during the procedure, Dr. Breister Ghosh tightens the facial skin to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. Successful healing with optimal results depends on having skin that is able to conform to its new, improved contours.
- Strong bone structure:Ideally, a facelift patient will have a well-defined underlying bone structure to provide support and contribute to satisfying results.
- Realistic expectations:A candidate should understand not only what facelifts can accomplish, but also the limitations of facial plastic surgery procedures. Consulting with Dr. Breister Ghosh can help a you obtain the information needed to make the right decision about surgery.
- Good overall health:An optimal facelift candidate will be generally healthy, and will inform Dr. Breister Ghosh of any preexisting medical conditions well in advance. A facelift is an invasive procedure that requires significant healing and recovery, so it is essential that the patient be physically prepared for surgery.
- Loose skin on the face or neck:Facelift candidates typically want to remove excess skin from the face or neck, tightening skin and reducing the appearance of wrinkles simultaneously. Dr. Breister will trim the loose skin during the procedure.
Facelifts for Men
Facelift surgery isn't just for women. Men can also turn to facelifts to erase the signs of aging and achieve a younger, rejuvenated look. The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) reports that over a 5-year period beginning in 2010, facelifts for men have increased by 44 percent. The steps of the procedure are typically the same for both sexes, and both men and women can enjoy outstanding cosmetic results.
Dr. Diana Breister Ghosh is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, the only plastic surgery board recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties. She is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, and the San Diego Plastic Surgery Society, and is an expert in plastic, aesthetic and reconstructive surgery.
Her specialized services include breast augmentation (including silicone breast implants), breast lift (mastopexy), tummy tuck (abdominoplasty), brow lift, and face/neck lift.
Dr. Breister Ghosh is also recognized as an expert in state-of-the-art surgical body modification, body contouring and soft tissue sculpting following bariatric and major weight loss surgery. Additionally, she excels in performing specialized facial procedures that help restore skin and aid in reducing effects of aging without surgery, including